Skillet Sausage 'n' Rice
Make this rice and smoked sausage main dish recipe all in one skillet for an easy weeknight meal with very little cleanup.
Total Recipe Time: 30 minutes / Servings: 4-6
- List each one like this
- 1 (16-oz.) package smoked sausage
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (3.5-oz.) bags quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Instructions1. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch slices. Sauté in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove sausage slices, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
2. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to skillet, and sauté over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until tender. Add chicken broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet, and bring to a boil. Remove rice from cooking bag; add rice, sausage, salt, and pepper to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish, if desired.
Recipe and photo from Southern Living
©2016 Southern Living